Saturday, March 26, 2011

Where's Papa Bear? Project #3 of 52

Where's Papa Bear?
  A couple of days early but I just couldn't wait to show everyone the newest quilt project I just finished.
I called it "Where's Papa Bear" . I designed this quilt to donate to my local Friends of NRA Annual Fund-raising Banquet. There are always guns and prints and other artwork auctioned at this event. I donate a quilt to this event every year. This year the picture of the year was of a big old Papa grizzly bear scratching it's behind against a burnt out tree. This inspired me to make a quilt with a bear theme and I've had the pattern for years just waiting for the right time to make it. When I was putting this quilt together with the two different sizes of bears going in different directions its just reminded me of a mama bear and a baby bear looking all over for the papa bear.

Paper pieced quilt block
More about the actual quilt .....It's 100% cotton flannel. I got all the fabric at my wonderful local quilt shop the Creative Cloth Closet The larger bears were made using a Cliff's Bear Template. They are paper pieced with seven different fabrics and  machine appliqued  in place. The large bears are surrounded by a beautiful leaf pattern with baby bears appliqued on the corner stone squares. 
Appliqued baby bear
All this in a beautiful fall color scheme: Sage greens, rusts and browns. Measuring 62x62 it's the perfect size throw to snuggle up with on a cool spring or winter evening.

The quilting on this is a leaf pattern. I got it quilted thanks to my good friend Patti who let me use her Gracie quilting frame. We spent 2 very enjoyable Sunday afternoons getting this quilted.Thank you so much Patti!

This quilt will be listed for sale as a custom hand crafted quilt at my Etsy Store

No comments:

Post a Comment